Professor Zhu received undergraduate education at Zhejiang University and obtained B.Eng. degree in Chemical Engineering in 1982. He pursued postgraduate studies and obtained Ph.D. degree in Polymer Reaction Engineering from McMaster University at Hamilton, Canada in 1991. He joined Department of Chemical Engineering and Department of Materials Science and Engineering at McMaster University as a faculty member in 1994. He became a Canada Research Chair in 2001 and served as the Chair of Department of Chemical Engineering from 2009 to 2014.
Professor Zhu works in polymer materials and reaction engineering, industrial big data and modeling, surface modification of biomaterials, interfacial engineering of microelectronics, smart polymers and their applications in environment and new energy areas. He has published 350 papers, received 10000 SCI citations, and trained more than 120 postgraduate students.
Professor Zhu was elected to Fellow of Royal Society of Canada (FRSC) in 2014, Fellow of Engineering Institute of Canada (FEIC) in 2011, Fellow of Canadian Academy of Engineering (FCAE) in 2010, and Fellow of Chemical Institute of Canada (FCIC) in 2009. He was awarded the primary R.S. Jane Memorial Award by the Canadian Society of Chemical Engineering in 2016, and the Macromolecular Science and Engineering Award by the Chemical Institute of Canada in 2011. He was bestowed the highest title of “Distinguished University Professor” at McMaster University in 2016.
Professor Zhu is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Progress in Polymer Science, Reaction Chemistry and Engineering, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Macromolecular Reaction Engineering, Macromolecular Theory and Simulation, and Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering (English Edition).
1. Qi Zhang, Lei Lei, Shiping Zhu “Gas-Responsive Polymers”, ACS Macro Lett. 2017, vol 6, pp 515-522
2. Meng Li, Weifeng Liu, Qi Zhang, Shiping Zhu “Mechanical Force Sensitive Acrylic Latex Coating”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2017, vol 9, pp 15156-15163
3. Yuan Gao, Weifeng Liu, Shiping Zhu “Polyolefin Thermoplastics for Multiple Shape and Reversible Shape Memory”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2017, vol 9, pp 4882-4889
4. Lei Lei, Qi Zhang, Shuxian Shi, Shiping Zhu "Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide Dual Gas-Switchable Thermoresponsive Homopolymers", ACS Macro Lett. 2016, vol 5, pp 828-832
5. Hermes Zhu, Justin Yang, Emily Cranston, Shiping Zhu “Flexible and Porous Nanocellulose Aerogels with High Loadings of Metal-Organic-Framework Particles for Separations Applications”, Adv. Mater. 2016, vol 28, pp 7652-7657
6. Darko Ljubic, Chad Smithson, Yiliang Wu, Shiping Zhu “Effect of Polymer Binders on UV-Responsive Organic Thin-Film Phototransistors with BTBT Semiconductor”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2016, vol 8, pp 3744-3754
7. Qi Zhang, Shiping Zhu “Ionic Liquids: Versatile Media for Preparation of Vesicles from Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly”, ACS Macro Lett. 2015, vol 4, pp 755-758.
8. Erlita Mastan, Xiaohui Li, Shiping Zhu “Modeling and theoretical development in controlled radical polymerization”, Progr. Polym. Sci. 2015, vol 45, pp 71-101
9 Chad Smithson, Yiliang Wu, Tony Wigglesworth, Shiping Zhu “A More Than Six Orders of Magnitude UV-Responsive Organic Field-Effect Transistor Utilizing a Benzothiophene Semiconductor and Disperse Red 1 for Enhanced Charge Separation”, Adv. Mater. 2015, vol 27, pp 228-233.
10. Yong Qian, Xueqing Qiu, Shiping Zhu “Lignin: a nature-inspired sun blocker for broad-spectrum sunscreens”, Green Chem. 2015, vol 17, pp 320-324