Dr. Simon Pun received his BEng. from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 1996, MEng. from University of Tsukuba, Japan in 1999 and Ph.D. from University of Southern California in Los Angeles, U.S.A in 2006, respectively. He was a post-doctoral research associate at Princeton University (USA) from 2006 to 2008. Prior to joining CUHK(SZ) in 2015, he held research positions at Huawei (USA), Mitsubishi (Boston) and Sony (Tokyo). He has led multimillion-dollar channel measurement/modeling projects for LTE femto cells, Japanese high-speed bullet trains and most recently, multi-polarized LTE macro and small cells.
He served as associate editor in the channel modeling track for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications in 2010 - 2014. Dr. Pun has published more than 50 technical publications with over 1500 citations. He also holds 12 granted patents including LTE essential patents. Among his publications, his book entitled “Multi-Carrier Techniques for Broadband Wireless Communications” is collected by 700 libraries worldwide including the M.I.T. library. Dr. Pun has received three prestigious best paper awards including IEEE VTC'06 Fall, IEEE ICC'08 and IEEE Infocom'09. Dr. Pun is a senior member of IEEE. Educated in Hong Kong, Japan and the U.S., Dr. Pun speaks fluent Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Japanese.
1. M.O. Pun, M. Morelli and C.-C. Kuo, Multi-Carrier Techniques For Broadband Wireless Communications: A Signal Processing Perspectives, Imperial College Press, U.K. 2007.
2. X. He, M.O. Pun and C.-C. Kuo, Change-Point Detection Based Power Quality Monitoring in Smart Grids, accepted for publication in APSIPA Transactions on Signal and Information Processing, 2015.
3. M.O. Pun, A. Molisch, P. Orlik and A. Okazaki, Super-Resolution Blind Channel Modeling, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Kyoto, Japan, Jun 2011.
4. M.O. Pun, V. Koivunen and H. V. Poor, Performance analysis of joint opportunistic scheduling and receiver design for MIMO-SDMA downlink systems, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 59, pp.268-280, Nov. 2010.
5. K.J. Kim, M.O. Pun and R. A. Iltis, Joint frequency offset and channel estimation for ULMIMO-OFDMA systems using parallel Schmidt Rao-Blackwellized particle filters, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 58, pp. 2697-2708, Sep. 2010.
6. C. Thejaswi, J. Zhang, M.O. Pun and H. V. Poor, Distributed opportunistic scheduling with two-level channel probing, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 18, pp. 1464-1477, Feb. 2010.
7. T.P. Low, M.O. Pun, P. Hong and C.-C. Kuo, Optimized opportunistic multicast scheduling (OMS) over cellular networks, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 9, pp. 1536-1276, Feb. 2010.
8. M.O. Pun, R. Brown and H. V. Poor, Opportunistic collaborative beamforming with one-bit feedback, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 8, pp. 2629-2641, May 2009.
9. D. Zheng, M.O. Pun, W. Ge, J. Zhang and H. V. Poor, Distributed opportunistic scheduling for ad hoc communications with imperfect channel information, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, pp. 5450-5460, Dec. 2008.
10. M. Morelli, C.-C. Kuo and M.O. Pun, Synchronization techniques for OFDMA: a tutorial review, Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 95, pp. 1394-1427, Jul. 2007.