SK Hark received the BSc degree from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 1975, majoring in physics and minoring in mathematics. He obtained his PhD degree in 1981, again in Physics, from State University of New York at Buffalo. After working as a postdoctoral fellow, he joined Xerox Webster Research Center as a Member of Research Staff to conduct research on the optical properties of solids. Five years later, he returned to his alma mater to join the Physics Department as a lecturer. He stayed there for twenty three years, moving through the ranks, until retirement. His research interests included optical spectroscopy, light scattering, metalorganic chemical vapour phase growth of semiconductor heterostructures and nanostructures, liquid crystals and lipid vesicles. While at CUHK, he was also involved in running the Centre for Scientific Analysis of Antique Artefacts that applies thermoluminescence dating to the authentications and provenance of antique pottery; Advanced Surface and Materials Analysis Center (ASMAC), a lab that served local industry and did research of surface characterization techniques; and in helping set up a lab similar to ASMAC in the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks. He had served as reviewers of many journals and was a member of American Physical Society and Materials Research Society. He is a member of the editorial committees of Journal of Semiconductors and Chinese Journal of Light Scattering. As a hobby, he used to be an avid star gazer.
1. J.P. Zhuang, Y. Liang, X.D. Xiao and S.K. Hark, Axially-Resolved Luminescence Properties of Individual ZnSe Nanowires, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 8819-8823, 2012.
2. Y. Liang, X.D. Xiao and S.K. Hark, The Epitaxial Growth of ZnS Nanowire Arrays and Their Applications in UV-Light Detection, J. Mater. Chem. 22, 1199-1205, 2012.
3. Y. Liang, Y. Tao and S.K. Hark, Fabrication and Optical Properties of Vertically Aligned ZnSe Nanowire Arrays Catalyzed by Ga and Ag, Yao Liang, Yin Tao and S. K. Hark, CrystEngComm, 13, 5751-5754, 2011.
4. Y.Y. Rao, H.Y. Xu, Y. Liang and S.K. Hark, Synthesis, Micro-structural and Magnetic Properties of Mn-doped ZnO Nanowires, CrystEngComm 13, 2566-2570, 2011.
5. W. Z. Liu, Y. Liang, H. Y. Xu, L. L. Wang, X. T. Zhang, Y. C. Liu and S. K. Hark, Heteroepitaxial growth and spatially-resolved cathodoluminescence of ZnO/MgZnO coaxial nanorod arrays, J. Phys. Chem. C, 114, 16148-16152, 2010.
6. Y. Liang, H.Y. Xu and S.K. Hark, Epitaxial Growth and Composition-dependent Optical Properties of Vertically Aligned ZnS1-xSex Alloy Nanowire Arrays, Crystal Growth & Design, 10, 4206-4210, 2010.
7. L.L. Wu, Y. Liang, F.W. Liu, H.Q. Lu, H.Y. Xu, X.T. zhang and S.K. Hark, Preparation of ZnO/In2O3(ZnO)n heterostructure nanobelts, CrystEngComm, 12, 4152-4155, 2010.
8. L. L. Wu, F. W. Liu, Z. Q. Chu, Y. Liang, H. Y. Xu, H. Q. Lu, X. T. Zhang, Q. Li and S. K. Hark, High-yield synthesis of In2-xGaxO3(ZnO)3 nanobelts with a planar superlattice structure, CrystEngComm, 12, 2047-2050, 2010.
9. 山西垣曲盆地新石器及早期青铜时代陶器的产地分析研究, 成小林, 郝少康, 戴向明, 崔剑峰, 王金霞, 中国国家博物馆馆刊，3, 22-32, 2009.