PhD (University of Toronto, Canada)
MSc (Jilin University, China)
BSc (Jilin University, China)
Dr. Mingfeng WANG received his bachelor degree in Chemistry in 2001 and MSc degree in Polymer Chemistry and Physics in 2004 under the supervision of Professor Xi Zhang from Jilin University. Then he joined Professor Mitchell A. Winnik’s group and obtained his PhD degree in Polymer Chemistry and Materials in 2009 from the University of Toronto. He was awarded with a Postdoctoral Fellowship the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and worked in Professor Fred Wudl’s group at the University of California, Santa Barbara. In 2012, he joined the faculty of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, as an elite Nanyang Assistant Professor in the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering. His research interest focuses on polymeric materials with bioinspired structures and advanced functions for optoelectronic devices and biomedical applications. His research group have made several scientific and technological contributions, including development of C-H direct arylation coupling for economically efficient and ecologically green synthesis of semiconducting small molecules and polymers, innovation of bioinspired fluorescent polymers for bioimaging applications, and exploration of robust unimolecular micelles as drug carriers for cancer treatment. In 2020, Dr. Wang joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, as an Associate Professor in the School of Science and Engineering.
Representative peer-reviewed journal publications (* represents corresponding author):
- H. Zhang, M. B. Chan-Park*, M. Wang*, “Functional polymers and polymer-dye composites for food sensing”, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2020, DOI: 10.1002/marc.202000279.
- Y. Wu, Q. Zhang, H. Wang, M. Wang*, “Multiscale engineering of functional organic polymer interfaces for neuronal stimulation and recording”, Mater. Chem. Front. 2020, DOI: 10.1039/d0qm00279h.
- X. Wei, M. Wang*, “Two dimensional semiconducting polymers”, Mater. Chem. Front. 2020, DOI: 10.1039/d0qm00309c.
- C. Yang, S. Huang, T. Jia, Y. Peng, X. Wei, M. Wang*, “Sub-10 nm Theranostic Unimolecular Micelles with High Tumor-Specific Accumulation, Retention, and Inhibitory Effect”, ACS Appl. Bio Mater. 2019, 2, 4142-4153.
- Y. Wu, Y. Peng, H. Bohra, J. Zou, V. D. Ranjan, Y. Zhang, Q. Zhang, M. Wang*, “Photoconductive Micro/Nanoscale Interfaces of a Semiconducting Polymer for Wireless Stimulation of Neuron-Like Cells”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 4833-4841.
- S. Huang, W. Liu, J. Huang, X. Wang, C. Yang, H. Bohra, Q. Liu*, M. Wang*, “Theranostic colloidal nanoparticles of pyrrolopyrrole cyanine derivatives for simultaneous near-infrared fluorescence cancer imaging and photothermal therapy”, ACS Appl. Bio Mater. 2018, 1, 1109-1117.
- H. Bohra, P. Li, C. Yang, Y. Zhao, M. Wang*, “‘Greener’ and modular synthesis of triazine-based conjugated porous polymers via direct arylation polymerization: structure-function relationship and photocatalytic application”, Polym. Chem. 2018, 9, 1972-1982.
- C. Yang, X. Wang, S. Huang, M. Wang*, “Tunable Förster resonance energy transfer in colloidal nanoparticles of polycaprolactone-tethered donors and acceptors: Enhanced near-infrared emission and compatibility for in vitro and in vivo bioimaging”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 1705226.
- K. Wang, H. Chen, H. Bohra, F. He*, M. Wang*, “Over 7% photovoltaic efficiency of a semicrystalline donor-acceptor polymer synthesized via direct arylation polymerization”, Dyes and Pigments 2018, 158, 183-187.
- T. Jia, S. Huang, C. Yang, M. Wang*, “Unimolecular micelles of pH-responsive star-like copolymers for co-delivery of anticancer drugs and small-molecular photothermal agents: A new drug-carrier for combinational chemo/photothermal cancer therapy”, J. Mater. Chem. B 2017, 5, 8514-8524.
- H. Bohra, M. Wang*, “Direct C-H arylation: a ‘Greener’ approach towards facile synthesis of organic semiconducting molecules and polymers”, J. Mater. Chem. A 2017, 5, 11550.
- C. Yang, X. Wang, M. Wang*, K. Xu, C. Xu, “Robust colloidal nanoparticles of pyrrolopyrrole cyanines J-aggregates with bright near infrared fluorescence in aqueous media: From spectral tailoring to bioimaging application”, Chem. Eur. J. 2017, 23, 4310-4319.
- T. Jia, S. Huang, C. Yang, M. Wang*, “Unimolecular micelles of amphiphilic cyclodextrin-core star-like copolymers with covalent pH-responsive linkage of anticancer prodrugs”, Mol. Pharmaceutics 2017, 14, 2529-2537.
- S. Huang, K. Wang, S. Wang, Y. Wang, M. Wang*, “Highly Fluorescent Polycaprolactones with Tunable Emission Wavelengths across Visible to NIR Spectral Window”, Adv. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 3, 1600259.
- C. Yang, H. Liu, Y. Zhang, Z. Xu, X. Wang, B. Cao, M. Wang*, “Hydrophobic-Sheath Segregated Macromolecular Fluorophores: Colloidal Nanoparticles of Polycaprolactone-Grafted Conjugated Polymers with Bright Far-Red/Near-Infrared Emission for Biological Imaging”, Biomacromolecules, 2016, 17, 1673-1683.
- H. J. Diao,K. Wang, H. Y. Long, M. Wang*, S. Y. Chew*, “Highly fluorescent and photostable polymeric nanofibers as scaffolds for cell interfacing and long-term tracking”, Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2016, 5, 529-533.
- K. Wang, G. Wang^, M. Wang*, “Balanced Ambipolar Poly(diketopyrrolopyrole-alt-tetrafluorobenzene) Semiconducting Polymers Synthesized via Direct Arylation Polymerization”, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2015, 36, 2162-2170.
- Z. Xu, S. Liu, H. Liu, C. Yang, Y. Kang, M. Wang*, “Unimolecular micelles of amphiphilic cyclodextrin-core star-like block copolymers for anticancer drug delivery”, Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 15768.
- X. Wang, K. Wang, M. Wang*, “Synthesis of conjugated polymers via an exclusive direct-arylation coupling reaction: a facile and straightforward way to synthesize thiophene-flanked benzothiadiazole derivatives and their copolymers”, Polym. Chem. 2015, 6, 1846.
- X. Wang, M. Wang*, “Synthesis of Donor-Acceptor Conjugated Polymers Based on Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene and 2,1,3-Benzothiadiazole via Direct Arylation Polycondensation: Toward Efficient C-H Activation in Nonpolar Solvents”, Polym. Chem. 2014, 5, 5784-5792.
- M. Wang*, F. Wudl*, “Top-down meets bottom-up: Organized donor-acceptor heterojunctions for organic solar cells”, J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 24297-24314.