Ph.D. (Nanyang Technological University)
M.Eng. (Nanyang Technological University)
B.Eng. (Nanyang Technological University)
Prof. SUN received his B.Eng. degree in Biomedical Engineering from the School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, and M.Eng. in Mechatronic System and Design from the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, of Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2005 and 2007 respectively. In 2008, He worked as a Visiting Scholar at the Engineering Research Center for Computer-Integrated Surgical Systems and Technology, in the Johns Hopkins University. He continued to pursue his Ph.D. degree under the supervision of Professor Phee Soo Jay, in NTU and successfully completed his defense in 2013. He worked in the newly established SUTD-MIT International Design Center before he joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen as a faculty member in April 2017. Currently he is also serving as the co-coordinator of the Biomedical Science and Engineering program in the School of Life and Health Sciences, and the deputy director of the intelligent robotics research center at the Shenzhen Institute of AI and Robotics for Society (AIRS).
His research interests include medical robotics/devices, human-robot interaction and collaboration, multi-modal perception and bio-inspired robots. During his Ph.D. study, he participated and developed a novel master-slave controlled multi-DOFs flexible endoscopic robot with haptic sensing and feedback, as one of the core team members. The team successfully completed world-first multi-center robotic operated endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) surgical procedures on human patients (three in India and two in Hong Kong). Now the platform has been spun off as a medtech startup company, EndoMaster Medical, winning over 10 million Singapore dollars series B funding. He also led the R&D work in many other medical applications, such as permanent magnet based real-time localization system for nasogastric intubation, and intelligent cushion for pressure ulcer prevention. In the past 10 years, he has published over 50 journal and conference papers, one PCT patent and one book chapter. Based on Google Scholar database, his work has been cited over 970 times with an h-index of 14.
1. Z. Sun, S. Foong, L. Maréchal and A. Shabbir, “A non-invasive real-time localization system for enhanced safety in nasogastric intubation”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol 43(12), pp. 2941-2952, 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-015-1361-0.
2. Z. Sun, Z. Wang and S.J. Phee, “Modeling and motion compensation of a bidirectional actuated tendon-sheath system for endoscopic surgery”, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol 119 (2), pp. 77-87, April 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.cmpb.2015.03.001.
3. F.Y. Wu, S. Foong and Z. Sun, “A hybrid field model for enhanced magnetic localization and position control”, IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol 20 (3), pp. 1278-1287, 2015. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2014.2341644.
4. Z. Sun, Z. Wang and S.J. Phee, “Elongation modeling and compensation for flexible tendon-sheath system”, IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol 19 (4), pp. 1243-1250, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2013.2278613.
5. Philip W.Y. Chiu, S.J. Phee, Z. Wang, Z. Sun, C. C. Poon, T. Yamamoto, I. Penny, J.Y.Y. Wong, James Y.W. Lau, K.Y. Ho, “Feasibility of full-thickness gastric resection using master and slave transluminal endoscopic robot and closure by overstitch: a preclinical study”, Surgical Endoscopy, Vol 28(1), pp. 319-324, 2014.
6. Z. Wang, Z. Sun, and S.J. Phee, “Modeling tendon-sheath mechanism with flexible configurations for robot control”, Robotica, Vol 31(7), pp. 1131-1142, 2013.
7. Z. Wang, Z. Sun, and S.J. Phee, “Haptic feedback and control of a flexible surgical endoscopic robot”, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol 112(2), pp. 260-271, 2013.
8. Z. Sun, Z. Wang and S.J. Phee, “Haptic modeling of stomach for real-time property and force estimation”, Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, Vol 13(3), DOI:10.1142/S0219519413500218, 2013.
9. S.J. Phee, N. Reddy, P. Chiu, R. Pradeep, G.V. Rao, Z. Wang, Z. Sun, J.Y.Y. Wong, and K.Y. Ho, “Robotic assisted endoscopic submucosal dissection for treatment of gastric neoplasia in human patients: a multicentre case series”, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology,Vol 10(10), pp. 1117-1121, 2012.
10. Z. Wang, S.J. Phee, D. Lomanto, R. Goel, P. Rebala, Z.L. Sun, S. Trasti, N. Reddy, J.Y. Wong and K.Y. Ho, “Endoscopic submucosal dissection of gastric lesions by using a Master and Slave Transluminal Endoscopic Robot (MASTER): an animal survival study”, Endoscopy, Vol 44(7), pp. 690-694, 2012.
11. S.J. Phee, Z. Sun, Z. Wang, J.Y. Wong and K.Y. Ho, “The future of transluminal surgery”, Expert Review of medical Devices, Vol 8 (6), pp. 669-671, 2011.
12. Z. Sun, R.Y. Ang, E.W. Lim, Z. Wang, K.Y. Ho and S.J. Phee, “Enhancement of a master-slave robotic system for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery”, Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, Vol 40(5), pp. 223-230, 2011.
13. KY. Ho, SJ. Phee, Z. Sun, R. Goel, P. Rebala, D. Lomanto, VA. Huynh, Z. Wang, JC. Lai, EK. Ting, YYJ. Wong, DN. Reddy, SC. Chung, “Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Using a Computer-Controlled Master-Slave Robot”, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Vol 73(4), AB155-AB155, 2011
14. S.J. Phee, K.Y. Ho, D. Lomanto, S.C. Low, V.A. Huynh, A.P. Kencana, K. Yang, Z.L. Sun, and S.C.S. Chuang, “Natural orifice transgastric endoscopic wedge hepatic resection in an experimental model using an intuitively controlled master and slave transluminal endoscopic robot (MASTER)”, Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, Vol 24(9), pp. 2293-2298, 2010.
15. S.J. Phee, A.P. Kencana, V.A. Huynh, Z.L. Sun, S.C. Low, K. Yang, D. Lomanto, and K.Y. Ho, “Design of a master and slave transluminal endoscopic robot for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineerings, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol 224(7), pp. 1495-1503, 2010.
16. I. Iordachita, Z. Sun, M. Balicki, J.U. Kang, S.J. Phee, J. Handa, P. Gehlbach, and R. Taylor, “A sub-millimetric, 0.25mN resolution fully integrated fiber-optic force-sensing tool for retinal microsurgery”, International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol 4(4), pp. 383-390, 2009.
17. S.J. Phee,S. C. Low, Z. L. Sun, K. Y. Ho, W.M. Huang and Z. M. Thant, “Robotic System for No-Scar Gastrointestinal Surgery”, International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, Vol 4(1), pp. 15-22, 2008.