LUO, Zhiquan Tom
Presidential Chair Professor
PhD, ORC/EECS, MIT, 1989
BS, Applied Mathematics, Peking University, 1984
Professor Zhi-Quan (Tom) Luo received his BSc degree in Applied Mathematics from Peking University, China, in 1984. In the same year, he was selected by a joint AMS-SIAM committee and the Ministry of Education of China for graduate study in the United States (S.S. Chern Program). Following a 12-month intensive training in English and Mathematics, he enrolled in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he received a PhD degree in Operations Research in 1989. From 1989 to 2003, he was on the faculty in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, McMaster University, Canada where he eventually served as the department head and was awarded a Canada Research Chair (Tier I) in Information Processing. From 2003 to 2014, Professor Luo has been a full professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Minnesota and held an endowed ADC Chair in digital technology. Currently, Professor Luo serves as the Vice President (Academic) of The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and concurrently the Director of Shenzhen Research Institute of Big Data and also the Director of CUHK(SZ)-Tencent AI Lab Joint Laboratory on Machine Intelligence. He became the director of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen)-Shenzhen Research Institute of Big Data-Huawei Innovation Laboratory of Future Network System Optimization in 2020.
Professor Luo received the 2010 Farkas Prize from the INFORMS Optimization Society for outstanding contributions to the field of optimization. In 2018, he was awarded the prize of Paul Y. Tseng Memorial Lectureship in Continuous Optimization. He also received three Best Paper Awards from the IEEE Signal Processing Society in 2004, 2009 and 2011 respectively, and a 2011 Best Paper Award from the EURASIP. In 2021, he was awarded 2020 ICCM Best Paper Award by International Consortium of Chinese Mathematicians. Professor Luo is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM). In 2014, he was elected to the Royal Society of Canada, the highest honor a Canadian scholar can achieve in the Arts, Humanities and Sciences. In 2016, Professor Luo was elected to the Leading Talent Program of Guangdong Province.
Professor Luo’s research mainly addresses mathematical issues in information sciences, with particular focus on the design, analysis and applications of optimization algorithms. Professor Luo consults regularly with industry on topics related to signal processing and digital communication. Professor Luo was the semi-plenary speaker for the International Symposium on Mathematical Programming in 2003 and IEEE CDC conference in 2011, the distinguished lecturer for the IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop in 2006, the plenary speaker for the IEEE Signal Processing Advance for Wireless Communications (SPAWC) Workshop in 2013, and IEEE Signal Processing Theory and Methods Workshop in 2014. Professor Luo has served as the Chair of the IEEE Signal Processing Society Technical Committee on Signal Processing for Communications (SPCOM). He was the Editor in Chief for IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing from 2012 to 2014 and served as the Associate Editor for many internationally recognized journals, including Mathematics of Operations Research, Management Science, Mathematical Programming and others.
- F. Yin, L. Pan, T. Chen, S. Theodoridis, Zhi-Quan Luo and A. M. Zoubir, "Linear Multiple Low-Rank Kernel Based Stationary Gaussian Processes Regression for Time Series," in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 68, pp. 5260-5275, 2020.
- Mingyi Hong, Tsung-Hui Chang, Xiangfeng Wang, Meisam Razaviyayn, Shiqian Ma, Zhi-Quan Luo, “A block successive upper bound minimization method of multipliers for linearly constrained convex optimization”, MATHEMATICS OF OPERATIONS RESEARCH, Vol. 68, pp. 2244–2255, June. 2020
- Y. Huang, S. A. Vorobyov and Z. Luo, "Quadratic Matrix Inequality Approach to Robust Adaptive Beamforming for General-Rank Signal Model," in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 68, pp. 2244-2255, Jan. 2020
- Y. Yang, M. Pesavento, Z. Luo and B. Ottersten, "Inexact Block Coordinate Descent Algorithms for Nonsmooth Nonconvex Optimization," in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 68, pp. 947-961, Dec. 2019
- Ruoyu Sun, Zhi-Quan Luo, Yinyu Ye, “On the Efficiency of Random Permutation for ADMM and Coordinate Descent”, MATHEMATICS OF OPERATIONS RESEARCH, Vol. 45, pp. 233–271, Nov. 2019.
- Nicholas Moehle, Xinyue Shen, Zhi-Quan Luo, Stephen Boyd , “A Distributed Method for Optimal Capacity Reservation”, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 182, pp. 1130–1149, September 2019.
- Z. Lin, W. Pu and Z. Luo, "Minimax Design of Constant Modulus MIMO Waveforms for Active Sensing," in IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1531-1535, Oct. 2019.
- Meisam Razaviyayn, Mingyi Hong, Navid Reyhanian, Zhi-Quan Luo, “A linearly convergent doubly stochastic Gauss–Seidel algorithm for solving linear equations and a certain class of over-parameterized optimization problems”, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 176, pp. 465–496, July 2019.
- W. Liu, R. Sun and Zhi-Quan Luo, " Globally Optimal Joint Uplink Base Station Association and Beamforming," in IEEE Transactions on Communications, May.2, 2019.
- A. Aubry, A. De Maio, A. Zappone, M. Razaviyayn and Z. Luo, "A New Sequential Optimization Procedure and Its Applications to Resource Allocation for Wireless Systems," in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 66, no. 24, pp. 6518-6533, 15 Dec.15, 2018.
- F. Shang, J. Cheng, Y. Liu, Z. Luo and Z. Lin, "Bilinear Factor Matrix Norm Minimization for Robust PCA: Algorithms and Applications," in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2066-2080, 1 Sept. 2018.
- Ghasem MIRJALILY and Z. Luo, " Optimal Network Function Virtualization and Service Function Chaining: A Survey." Chinese Journal of Electronics, vol. 27, Issue 4, pp. 704 – 717, July 2018.
- W. Liao, M. Hong, H. Farmanbar and Z. Luo, "A Distributed Semiasynchronous Algorithm for Network Traffic Engineering." IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 436-450, Sept. 2018.
- Wenqiang Pu, Ya Feng Liu, Junkun Yan, Hongwei Liu, Zhi-Quan Luo, “Optimal estimation of sensor biases for asynchronous multi-sensor data fusion”, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 170, pp. 357–386, July 2018.
- Wenqiang Pu, Jinjun Xiao, Tao Zhang, Zhi-Quan Luo, “An optimization model for electroencephalography-assisted binaural beamforming”, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 143, issue 3, pp. 1744-1744, Mar. 2018.
- Mingyi Hong and Zhi-Quan Luo, “On the Linear Convergence of The Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers”, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 162, pp. 165–199, March 2017.
- Mingyi Hong and Zhi-Quan Luo, “Iteration complexity analysis of block coordinate descent methods”, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 163, pp. 85–114, May 2017.
- M. Locatelli and Z. Luo, "On the Complexity of Optimal Power Allocation in a Multi-Tone Multiuser Communication System," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 63, pp. 6622-6627, Oct. 2017.
- F. Shang, J. Cheng, Y. Liu, Z. Luo and Z. Lin, "Bilinear Factor Matrix Norm Minimization for Robust PCA: Algorithms and Applications," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2017. (Early Access)
- N. Zhang, Z. Yao, Y. Liu, S. P. Boyd and Z. Luo, "Dynamic Resource Allocation for Energy Efficient Transmission in Digital Subscriber Lines," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 65, pp. 4353-4366, Aug. 2017.
- N. Zhang, Y. Liu, H. Farmanbar, T. Chang, M. Hong and Z. Luo, "Network Slicing for Service-Oriented Networks Under Resource Constraints," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 35, pp. 2512-2521, Nov. 2017.
- YUN-BIN ZHAO∗, HOUYUAN JIANG †,Zhi-Quan Luo, “Weak Stability of l1-minimization Methods in Sparse Data Reconstruction”, IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information, Processing over Networks, Nov. 2017.
- Yun-Bin Zhao, Zhi-Quan Luo, “Constructing New Weighted ℓ1-Algorithms for the Sparsest Points of Polyhedral Sets”, Mathematics of Operations Research, Vol. 42, pp. 1-276, 2017.
- R. Sun and Z. Luo, "Guaranteed Matrix Completion via Non-Convex Factorization," in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 6535-6579, Nov. 2016.
- Q. Shi, M. Razaviyayn, M. Hong and Z. Luo, "SINR Constrained Beamforming for a MIMO Multi-User Downlink System: Algorithms and Convergence Analysis," in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 2920-2933, June, 2016.
- Razaviyayn, M., Sanjabi, M. and Luo, ZQ. , “A Stochastic Successive Minimization Method for Nonsmooth Nonconvex Optimization with Applications to Transceiver Design in Wireless Communication Networks”, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 157, pp. 515–545, June 2016.
- Mingyi Hong, Zhi-Quan Luo, and Meisam Razaviyayn, “Convergence Analysis of Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers for a Family of Nonconvex Problems”, SIAM J. OPTIM., Vol. 26, No.1, pp. 337–364, 2016.
- M. Hong, M. Razaviyayn, Z. Luo and J. Pang, "A Unified Algorithmic Framework for Block-Structured Optimization Involving Big Data: With applications in machine learning and signal processing," in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 57-77, Jan. 2016.
- R. Sun, M. Hong and Z. Luo, "Joint Downlink Base Station Association and Power Control for Max-Min Fairness: Computation and Complexity," in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1040-1054, June 2015.
- R. Sun and Z. Luo, "Interference Alignment Using Finite and Dependent Channel Extensions: The Single Beam Case," in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 239-255, Jan. 2015.